Close Menu
    • ABOUT
    • BOOK STORE
    • ENTREPRENEURSHIP
    • ESG
    • EVENTS & AWARDS
    • POLITICS
    • GADGETS
    • CONTACT
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn
    Business explainerBusiness explainer
    Subscribe
    • TRENDING
    • EXECUTIVES
    • COMPANIES
    • STARTUPS
    • GLOBAL
    • AGRICULTURE
    • DEALS
    • ECONOMY
    • MOTORING
    • TECHNOLOGY
    Business explainerBusiness explainer
    Home » Bonitas Ends Medscheme Partnership after Four Decades
    DEALS

    Bonitas Ends Medscheme Partnership after Four Decades

    January 30, 2026
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
    Lee Callakoppen, Principal Officer at Bonitas Medical Fund
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    South Africa’s second-largest medical scheme, Bonitas, has terminated its long-standing administration relationship with Medscheme, ending a partnership that has been in place since 1982. According to Business Day, the scheme has appointed Momentum to handle administration and Private Health Administrators (PHA) to manage care services for all its options except Boncap, its low-income plan.

    The decision represents a significant loss for Medscheme and its parent company, JSE-listed Afrocentric, as Bonitas is one of its largest clients. Bonitas has more than 374,000 principal members and around 750,000 beneficiaries, making it a central contributor to Medscheme’s administration book. The shift alters the competitive landscape of the medical scheme administration market, which is dominated by a small number of large players that depend heavily on long-term contracts for scale and profitability.

    Bonitas’s move follows an unsuccessful court application by Medscheme in December to block the scheme from issuing a tender for new administrators and managed care providers. The application sought an urgent interdict pending the outcome of a forensic investigation by the industry regulator, but the court ruled that the matter was not urgent and set it down for March. As reported by Council for Medical Schemes, the investigation focuses on procurement processes related to Bonitas’s earlier appointment of PHA to administer Boncap, which had previously been managed by Medscheme.

    READ – Bonitas Smashes Records with Surging Membership and Investment Growth

    On Thursday, Bonitas confirmed that it had concluded new contracts for its remaining options, with Momentum taking over administration and PHA assuming responsibility for managed care. The scheme said the regulator requires trustees to regularly benchmark service provider contracts rather than rely on evergreen arrangements, which can entrench costs and reduce accountability. Bonitas indicated that its tender process was aligned with this requirement, particularly as Medscheme’s five-year contract was due to expire in May.

    The scheme said it had issued a request for proposals to assess the market and identify opportunities to reduce non-healthcare expenditure. Administration and managed care fees form part of the non-healthcare cost base that directly affects member contributions, making procurement decisions increasingly sensitive in an environment of rising healthcare inflation and pressure on household budgets. Bonitas declined to disclose the commercial terms of either its outgoing or incoming contracts.

    Afrocentric informed shareholders via a stock exchange announcement that Bonitas had proceeded with awarding the contracts despite the pending legal proceedings. According to Afrocentric, the group will await the outcome of the court process before determining its next steps and providing further guidance to investors. The loss of Bonitas is likely to weigh on Medscheme’s revenue outlook, given the scale of the account and the limited pool of schemes large enough to replace it.

    READ – How to Prioritise Smarter Healthcare Decisions in 2026

    Medscheme had not responded publicly at the time of publication, but has previously said its legal action was motivated by concerns over governance, ethics and statutory obligations to Bonitas members. The company has also pointed to media reports alleging procurement irregularities involving senior Bonitas executives and trustees as contributing to its decision to challenge the process.

    The dispute underscores growing scrutiny of governance and procurement in the medical schemes sector, where regulators have increased oversight of administrator relationships and cost structures. It also highlights the strategic importance of large scheme mandates for administrators, at a time when consolidation and cost containment are reshaping the industry. For Bonitas members, the transition will be closely watched for its impact on service continuity, contribution levels and long-term scheme stability.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleHow Digital Compliance Training Could Dominate Costs
    Next Article African Bank Appoints Deputy Chief Executive: Business and Commercial

    Related Posts

    Pick n Pay Raises R4.7bn via Boxer Share Sale

    May 19, 2026

    IDC and Fedgroup Seal R500m Deal

    May 19, 2026

    Fassi and Hendricks Join Nissan

    May 19, 2026
    Top Posts

    Growthpoint Dominates with 19 SACSC Footprint Awards

    November 14, 2025

    How Botswana Operations Drove De Beers’ Quarterly Gains

    October 28, 2025

    Orange Joins MTN in Elite 300 Million Customer League

    October 24, 2025

    Nersa Opens Public Consultation on Eskom’s New Tariff Calculation 

    October 24, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Government Launches R300m Fund to Back Women Entrepreneurs

    Entrepreneurship

    The Department of Small Business Development and the Small Enterprise Development and Finance Agency have…

    SA to Send Delegation to Strait of Hormuz

    May 19, 2026

    Pick n Pay Raises R4.7bn via Boxer Share Sale

    May 19, 2026

    Going Off-Grid Could Void Your Insurance

    May 19, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Facebook

    Business Explainer proudly displays the “FAIR” stamp of the Press Council of South Africa, indicating our commitment to adhere to the Code of Ethics for Print and online media which prescribes that our reportage is truthful, accurate and fair. Should you wish to lodge a complaint about our news coverage, please lodge a complaint on the Press Council’s website, www.presscouncil.org.za or email the complaint to khanyim@presscouncilsa.org.za Contact the Press Council on 011 4843612.

    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn
    Categories
    • TRENDING
    • EXECUTIVES
    • COMPANIES
    • STARTUPS
    • GLOBAL
    • AGRICULTURE
    • DEALS
    • ECONOMY
    • MOTORING
    • TECHNOLOGY
    contact us
    • Get In Touch
    © 2026 Business Explainer
    • Privacy Policy

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.