Transnet wants to partner with the private sector to expand container terminal capacity at Richards Bay Port.
- Transnet issued a request for proposals (RFP) for a 25-year contract to fund, develop and operate a new container handling facility.
- The new facility could quadruple current container handling capacity from 50,000 TEUs to 200,000 TEUs.
- The additional container capacity is needed to ease pressure on existing facilities and meet demand.
- The new terminal will serve northern KwaZulu-Natal and reduce logistics costs and transit times for local businesses.
- Private sector support could help with Transnet’s turnaround strategy by providing funding and expertise.
- Transnet is looking for bidders with experience developing and operating container terminals.
- The bidding process will allow new entrants and smaller companies to participate in the RFP and construction phases.