South Africa, recognizing the need for skilled professionals, is actively seeking to attract talent from overseas.
- The Department of Home Affairs has proposed amendments to immigration regulations, introducing a remote working visa and a points system for critical skills visas.
- The remote working visa aims to accommodate the increasing number of skilled workers, especially in the tech industry, who are drawn to the lifestyle benefits of working remotely.
- The critical skills visa will consider factors such as age, qualifications, language proficiency, work experience, and job offers.
- These visa reforms are part of the government’s comprehensive structural reforms to enhance the business operating environment in the country.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa has emphasized the importance of an agile and responsive visa system in attracting foreign investment and driving economic growth.
- While South Africa is investing in expanding access to education and skills development, the current shortage of high-level skills necessitates sourcing talent internationally in the short term.