The South African National Road Agency (Sanral) continues to collect e-toll fees from motorists in Gauteng, despite the planned scrapping of the system eight months ago.
- Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana had announced during the medium-term budget policy statement in the previous year that the e-toll system would be abolished by December 31. However, an agreement between the provincial government and National Treasury has not yet been reached.
- Intergovernmental discussions between National Treasury, the Department of Transport, and the Gauteng government are still ongoing regarding the scrapping of e-tolls.
- Sanral spokesperson Melany Kühn stated that e-toll fees would continue to be collected until the scrapping of the system is officially gazetted. Sanral has collected approximately R272.5 million between January and July of the current year.
- Opposition to the e-tolls has come from various quarters, including civil society groups like the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse (OUTA) and labor federation Cosatu. These protests have contributed to Sanral’s debt burden, which now exceeds R40 billion.
- Finance Minister Godongwana previously stated that Treasury would cover 70% of Sanral’s debt, while the Gauteng government would be responsible for the remaining 30%.
- The delay in scrapping the e-tolls has been criticized by OUTA CEO Wayne Duvenage, who called it a “joke.” He emphasized the need for clarity on how motorists will be refunded for fees already paid and suggested that motorists should refrain from paying e-tolls until the agreement is finalized.