Vodacom has introduced new features to its VodaPay app, which allows users to deposit cash at Vodacom stores, retailers, and spaza shops, as well as send money to anyone with a phone number.
- The VodaPay app is designed to enable both banked and unbanked users to deposit or send money securely, cost-effectively, and instantly.
- Mariam Cassim, CEO of Vodacom’s financial and digital lifestyle services, said the company aims to enable more people to use and benefit from digital financial services, while also recognizing that cash remains important for many South African customers.
- Retailers that support the VodaPay Deposit Money feature include Ackermans, Builders Warehouse, Boxer, Cambridge Food, Game, Makro, PEP, Pick n Pay, Pick n Pay Express, and Rhino Cash ‘n Carry.
- The VodaPay Wallet can be used to buy a wide range of products from several stores, including electricity, airtime, data, and bill payments, without incurring extra charges.
- The new Send Money feature enables VodaPay users to transfer money from their wallet to a receiver’s cell number, who can then withdraw the cash from a cash-out outlet. The cash-out partners include Pick n Pay and Kazang, Cash Express ATMs, and OTT agents, with transaction fees ranging from R8 plus 1% to 2% of the cash-out value.