Spar has named Angelo Swartz as its new group CEO, effective from the start of October.
- Swartz has been at the company for more than 16 years and is currently the divisional MD of KwaZulu-Natal.
- The appointment comes after former CEO Brett Botten stepped down in January following controversy over questionable accounting.
- The retail group also named Megan Pydigadu as the new group COO, effective from the start of November.
- Pydigadu is a chartered accountant who has previously worked at Deloitte SA, De Beers, MiX Telematics, and EOH.
- Acting group CEO Mike Bosman will return to his position as independent nonexecutive chair of the board.
- Spar has been embroiled in controversy over allegations of unfair treatment of black franchisees.
- The appointment of new leadership is part of the company’s effort to put recent controversy behind it.