South African customers with Luno wallets or VALR Pay can now use bitcoin to purchase goods and services at Pick n Pay stores, including groceries, airtime, bus tickets, and municipal bills.
- Previously, customers had to download two apps to make a crypto payment at Pick n Pay. With the new integration, Luno customers can simply open their Luno app and scan a QR code at the checkout to pay with bitcoin.
- Bitcoin payments will be accepted at various Pick n Pay locations, including Hypermarkets, supermarkets, Express stores, and Pick n Pay Clothing.
- VALR Pay, a payment solution that allows instant crypto or rand payments, has partnered with CryptoConvert to ensure compatibility with the crypto QR technology used at Pick n Pay tills.
- Initially, the feature is available to Android users directly through the VALR app, with iOS support set to be rolled out soon. iOS users can still use VALR Pay at Pick n Pay by downloading the CryptoQR app and setting VALR Pay as their default wallet.
- VALR’s co-founder and CEO, Farzam Ehsani, expressed the company’s vision to enable peer-to-peer payments and facilitate payment acceptance at merchants, with Pick n Pay being a significant milestone.
- Earlier this year, CryptoConvert introduced a Lightning-based bitcoin payment platform in partnership with Pick n Pay, enhancing the speed and efficiency of crypto transactions.