The 2023 BMW X1 sDrive18d boasts an attractive exterior design that is both modern and appealing. While it may not push the boundaries like some of BMW’s recent models, it presents a more conservative and agreeable look.
- Inside the X1, you’ll find a revamped cabin that offers a significant improvement over its predecessor. The large curved screen and ‘floating’ center console not only enhance the aesthetics but also provide functional design elements that make the driving experience more convenient.
- The X1 offers three engine options, including the sDrive18d model tested in this review. Powered by a 2.0-liter turbodiesel engine with 110kW and 360Nm of torque, it delivers a balance of performance and fuel efficiency.
- BMW claims a combined fuel consumption figure of 5.0 liters per 100 kilometers for the X1 sDrive18d. While it may exceed this in dense city traffic, it proves impressively frugal on the freeway, making it an economical choice for long drives.
- The X1 provides a relatively spacious cabin for both front and rear occupants, along with a useful 540-liter boot capacity. This makes it suitable for everyday practicality and accommodating various cargo needs.
- While the X1 offers a comfortable ride on smooth roads, the optional 19-inch wheels on the test car made the ride feel a bit firm. Opting for the standard 18-inch wheels may provide a better balance between comfort and style.
- The BMW X1 starts at R788,045 for the entry-level sDrive18i petrol model, while the tested sDrive18d model in xLine trim begins at R815,612. While it is pricier than some competitors in its segment, it offers a range of standard features and optional extras to enhance the driving experience.
Overall, the 2023 BMW X1 sDrive18d impresses with its attractive design, practicality, and frugal fuel consumption, although it falls slightly short in terms of ride comfort and refinement.