MultiChoice limited streaming of DStv online to one device per subscription
- The move led to an increase in subscriptions and Mawela says it was the right decision
- Overall, MultiChoice’s subscriber base grew 8% to 23.5 million
- However, MultiChoice reported a net loss of R2.92 billion for the year
- Netflix was the first to crack down on password sharing by limiting concurrent streams
- MultiChoice is considering compromises that allow for more than one concurrent stream
- The cost of subscribing to multiple streaming services is high and driving password sharing
- Streaming DStv currently costs R700 a month while Netflix costs up to R620 a month.