The financial regulator has taken decisive action against Ithala, a development agency seeking to become a full-fledged bank.
- In a significant blow to Ithala, the Reserve Bank has appointed Johan Kruger, a renowned investigator of Ponzi and pyramid schemes, as the repayment administrator.
- The appointment of the repayment administrator marks the beginning of the process to wind down Ithala’s deposit-taking activities, effectively preventing the agency from operating as a bank.
- The Reserve Bank’s move comes after a court order in December, highlighting the seriousness of the situation and the need for intervention.
- Ithala had been operating with a banking license exemption, but it has now lapsed, leaving the agency vulnerable to regulatory action.
- The regulator’s intervention is driven by concerns over Ithala’s governance and compliance with banking regulations.