Minister of Public Enterprises Pravin Gordhan has rejected the recommendation made by the Eskom board for the appointment of a new CEO.
- This decision comes nine months after the previous CEO, André de Ruyter, announced his resignation.
- The appointment of a new CEO was considered urgent, and chief financial officer Calib Cassim was appointed as an interim CEO for six months.
- However, it now appears that Cassim will continue to act in the position for an extended period of time.
- Following De Ruyter’s departure, the Eskom board initiated an executive search process and conducted interviews.
- In May, the board forwarded the name of a frontrunner for the CEO position to Pravin Gordhan.
- Gordhan’s rejection of the board’s recommendation has caused a setback in the CEO appointment process and requires the board to reconsider their options.