Cabinet welcomes the improved energy availability factor of Eskom, reaching close to 70%.
- Approximately 400 MW has been added to the grid, and planned maintenance has shown rapid improvement.
- Eskom granted a postponement to meet emission standards at Kusile Power Station, allowing repairs and construction of temporary stacks to return 2,100 MW to the national grid and reduce load-shedding levels.
- Government reaffirms commitment to the Just Energy Transition (JET) and efforts to mitigate climate change impact, aiming for “net zero” carbon emissions by 2050.
- Appreciation expressed for the public’s electricity conservation during peak times, which has contributed to lower stages of load shedding.
- Commendation given for commitments made at the New Global Financing Pact Summit, focusing on climate change, development, and debt.
- Joint declaration of intent signed to establish the South African-German Hydrogen Task Force, aiming to create and develop the green hydrogen market and foster business opportunities between the two countries.
- Plans for a Hydrogen Valley in South Africa to boost economic growth and job creation through hydrogen initiatives.