The South African Competition Commission has released a range of remedial actions against online platforms.
- The actions are aimed at helping smaller businesses compete and level the playing field against retail giants.
- Google must provide R330 million in advertising credits and other support to local small businesses.
- Takealot must change its site to increase competition from small suppliers.
- Online property sites and car sellers must cut listing prices for independent agencies and dealers.
- Google must allow greater prominence for smaller online platforms on its search engine.
- Takealot must introduce a 60-day dispute resolution process for marketplace sellers.
- Online food delivery platforms such as Uber Eats and Mr D must also inform customers if they charge restaurants a commission fee, and that the menu items may be priced differently than in restaurants.
- The new requirements are immediately binding but will be implemented in phases.