The Department of Agriculture has advised farmers in winter rainfall areas to wait for sufficient moisture before planting winter crops and stay within the normal planting window.
- While veld conditions are good in some areas, parts of the Western Cape, Northern Cape and Eastern Cape continue to experience dry conditions.
- Farmers using irrigation are advised to reduce planting area in line with water restrictions.
- The department also advised livestock farmers to reduce stock in overstocked areas,provide extra feed and follow vaccination routines.
- The risk of veld fires is increasing as veld starts to dry out in summer rainfall areas.
- The South African Weather Service is predicting above normal rainfall in most parts of the country during winter and spring.
- FEWS NET reporting maize prices decreasing seasonally but remain above last year and the 5 year average, underpinned by tight domestic supply and high production costs.
- The department has promised to continue partnering with stakeholders to educate and equip farmers with early warning information.